Vice President and General Counsel (Office of General Counsel)
412-397-5262 phone (M)
Revere Center 212
- B.A., American History (Cum Laude), University of Massachusetts, 1972
- J.D., Law (Cum Laude), University of Miami, 1978
- As Vice President and General Counsel at Robert Morris University, Mr. Zonn serves as its chief legal officer and provides legal and policy advice to the University President and executive management on all legal issues related to the University including, but not limited to: labor and employee relations; student and academic affairs; corporate, commercial and real estate matters; intellectual property; and trusts and estates. In addition, the General Counsel represents the University in: adminsitrative proceedings and litigation in state and federal court; preparing and reviewing commercial and employment contracts, leases, policies and procedures related to the University; negotiating the faculty collective bargaining agreement; selecting and retaining outside counsel in specialty areas; providing internal training on legal issues to the University community; and preparing and managing the legal budget for the University.
Mr. Zonn also serves as Secretary to the Board of Trustees and is responsible for corporate compliance including, but not limited to: attending and keeping minutes for Board and Executive Committee meetings; preparing and implementing revisions to University Bylaws; preparing appropriate corporate resolutions; and, implementing and securing compliance with the Board's Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Prior to joining RMU in June 2006, Mr. Zonn spent 28 years in private law practice, most recently as the Managing Shareholder of Littler Mendelson's Pittsburgh office from 2001-2006 where he focused on all aspects of labor and employee relations law representing management. He was a partner with Buchanan Ingersoll P.C. from 1988-2001 during which time he served in various capacities including as a member of its three-person executive committee and also on its Board of Directors. He also practiced law with Berkman Ruslander Pohl Lieber & Engel from 1978-1988 upon his graduation from law school.
- Prior to entering law school, Mr. Zonn served as an intelligence officer in the United States Air Force from 1972 through 1978, both on active duty and active reserve, and was promoted to the rank of Captain while stationed in the United States and Southeast Asia.
Area of Expertise/Research
- While in private practice, Mr. Zonn had extensive experience in the investigation and litigation of all forms of employment claims before local, state and federal agencies and state and federal courts, in representation proceedings and unfair labor practice cases before the National Labor Relations Board, has handled collective bargaining negotiations and arbitrations in industries ranging from manufacturing to higher education, and has spent considerable time counseling clients on equal employment opportunity and labor relations matters.