Robert Morris University's bachelor's degree program in manufacturing engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, telephone: (410) 347-7700.
Studies lead to the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Manufacturing Engineering.
Engineering at RMU
Engineers are problem-solvers who use science and mathematics to find solutions to the challenges facing society. Problem-solving in the 21st century involves more than just an understanding of engineering principles. Today's engineering projects involve teams of people with diverse educational backgrounds. Instead of narrowly focused individuals, employers seek talented problem solvers able to contribute to improving designs, processes and products.
RMU worked closely with leading companies such as PPG Industries, Westinghouse, American Home Improvement Products, Cutler Hammer, PGT Trucking, Bayer, J&L Specialty Steel and Mobay, among others, to design engineering programs that provide graduates with the skills that employers value the most. These skills include not only engineering fundamentals, but also oral and written communication, project management, teamwork, interpersonal skills, business knowledge, problem solving, critical thinking, global perspective and internship/co-op experience.
Manufacturing engineers design and implement the processes and systems needed to take a product from concept to reality, helping to make industries and businesses competitive and innovative. Manufacturing engineers design, plan, develop, improve and manage the machinery, processes and systems that produce the products we see and use on a daily basis. RMU manufacturing engineering students learn about the products, materials, processes, assembly methods, production equipment, systems capabilities and quality standards to ensure products meet customers' expectations and are produced at a reasonable cost.
The 126-credit curriculum has six components.
- Robert Morris University Core - 41 credits
These are the traditional liberal arts requirements of the University. Studies in humanities, communications skills, and social, behavioral, natural and quantitative sciences are included.
- Math and Science - 25 credits
These courses provide a solid foundation of knowledge in statistics, calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, physics and chemistry.
- Business - 9 credits
Courses in accounting, marketing and management provide students with a basic understanding of the business world.
- Basic Engineering - 12 credits
This component of fundamental engineering courses prepares students for more advanced course work.
- Manufacturing Engineering - 33 credits
This component includes basic and advanced courses tailored to the manufacturing engineering discipline.
- Engineering Electives - 6 credits
Students may select from a list of approved engineering courses that suit their personal interests.
The Learning Factory
RMU believes that students learn by doing and that they benefit from practice with the processes and equipment used in industry. The heart of RMU's engineering programs is The Learning Factory, where students gain hands-on experience with design, testing and manufacturing processes and equipment, in much the same way that medical students learn from clinical training in a hospital.
The industrial-grade facility allows students to take a product from concept to reality using cutting-edge technology. It includes equipment for automatic identification, CNC machining and turning, controls, injection molding, machine tool monitoring, machine vision, materials testing, metallography, metrology, packaging, powder metallurgy, rapid prototyping, reverse engineering and robotics. Hardware is supported by a suite of software packages for design, analysis, manufacturing, simulation, offline programming, controls, monitoring, integration, software development, enterprise resource management and other engineering activities.
Academic Internship Program
All engineering students are required to complete three credits of an academic internship between their sophomore and senior years to test their engineering skills in an appropriate industry setting. The internship is conducted under the joint supervision of advisors from the University and the industry partner.
Cooperative Education Program
Through this program, qualified students in the manufacturing engineering degree program can gain valuable experience and earn up to $35,000 toward the cost of their education! Through this program, you'll alternate semesters of academic study with up to four semesters of employment in the field, giving you a competitive edge in the job market - and you'll still graduate in four years.
Tuition information can be found at Tuition Fees & Schedules.
The following are required for admission:
- Robert Morris University application for admission - Apply Now!
- Official transcripts from high school and any post-secondary instituitions attended
Why Choose RMU Engineering?
- Small class sizes and personalized attention. At RMU, the average class size is 24 with a faculty-student ratio of 16:1. These numbers are even smaller within the Engineering Department. Your professors will interact directly with you, know you by name, and dedicate extra time and attention as necessary to ensure your success.
- Dedicated and experienced faculty. Our engineering faculty has strong academic credentials from reputable institutions, as well as research and/or industry experience. Your professors will bring real-world examples, problems and projects into the classroom to enhance your learning experience. Full-time faculty members, not graduate teaching assistants, will teach all of your classes.
- Focused, integrated curricula. You'll be prepared to solve engineering problems in your major field, but you'll also gain skills and understanding beyond technology. Here you'll benefit from RMU's renowned Communications Skills Program, gain an understanding of core business areas, and explore a range of general education courses.
- Access to outstanding facilities. You'll benefit directly from a recent $6 million investment in new classrooms, laboratories and instructional technology in our state-of-the-art engineering, science and mathematics facility. You'll have full access to our modern, industrial-grade laboratory and gain hands-on experience with the equipment starting in your freshman year.
- Real-world experience. As part of your studies, you'll work on real-world projects and complete an internship or co-op experience as well as a senior design project. In addition, you'll have the opportunity to participate in competitions and student chapters of professional organizations, and to volunteer your time, energy and talent to community service projects.
- Support and guidance. Every RMU undergraduate is assigned both an academic advisor and a counselor in the Center for Student Success. Your academic advisor will guide you through your program of study and help you make decisions about educational and career goals. Your counselor will help you to stay on course as you navigate your way through college life and beyond.
Bachelor-Level Internship Employers
Bayer; Boeing; Bombardier Transportation; Centria; Curtiss-Wright Electro Mechanical Corp.; Cutler Hammer; DBT America; Deloitte Financial Services; Development Dimensions International; FedEx; Flabeg; Fox IV Technologies; Kurt J. Lesker Co.; Microsonic; NASA; Penn United Technologies; Pittsburgh Logistics Systems; Schroeder Industries; Target Systems; Tate-Jones; US Steel; Wilcox Brothers.
Bachelor-Level Hiring Organizations
Bayer; Conair; Concurrent Technologies Corp.; Core Furnace Systems; Deloitte Financial Services; Development Dimensions International; Eagle Global Logistics; FedEx; Honeywell; Microsonic; Moderne Glass Products; Penn United Technologies; Raytheon; Schroeder Industries; Siemens; SolidWorks; Target Systems; US Steel.
|Position Title||Position Salary|
|Software Design and Development||$55,372|
|Systems Analysis and Design||$52,773|
|The information in this chart is based off of 2006 nation mean salaries|