The following are the criteria for the B. Kenneth Simon Free Enterprise Scholarship. Applicants must:
- Be enrolled as a high school senior.
- Be a resident for more than one year of one of the following Pennsylvania counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Washington, or Westmoreland.
- Possess a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Possess a combined SAT score of 1100 (critical reading and math) or higher or an ACT composite score of 24 or better.
- Secure a sponsoring teacher from high school to serve as an advisor for the research paper.
- Submit a research paper of between 2,500 and 3,000 words on a topic established annually by the scholarship selection committee.
- Application Deadline is Monday, December 15, 2014. Please click here to download a pdf application.
- Monday, Dec. 15, 2014
Application deadline for all students interested in the scholarship.
- Monday, Feb. 2, 2015
Research papers due for all candidates.
- Monday, Feb. 16, 2015 (approximately)
B. Kenneth Simon Free Enterprise Scholarship 2015 recipient chosen and notified.
TOPIC FOR RESEARCH PAPER FOR 2015 CANDIDATES
Who gets to vote in the United States? More than 1/6th of all of the amendments to the Constitution - and almost 30% of the amendments adopted after the Bill of Rights - seek to prohibit situations in which the right to vote had been denied or abridged.
Those amendments removed impediments to voting for former slaves, women, people who had to pay a poll tax, and adults aged 18 or older. However, other impediments may exist. Discuss each of the following and whether it constitutes the denial or abridgement of the right to vote:
- The fact that citizens of Washington, D.C., may not vote for a member of the House of Representatives or the Senate;
- The denial of the right to vote to some or all citizens of a state if the citizens have been convicted of a felony; and
- The requirement for a voter registration card if the voter must designate a mailing address at which to receive the card because homeless individuals may not have a mailing address.
The research paper must include footnotes, references to sources and a bibliography page. A checklist of requirements will be provided to all applicants.