Allen R. Lias, Ph.D.
Professor of Mathematics (Mathematics)
412-397-4057 phone (M)
John Jay 314
- Ph.D., Instruction and Learning- Mathematics, University of Pittsburgh, 1990
- Mater of Arts in Teaching, Mathematics, The University of North Carolina, 1984
- Bachelor of Science, Accounting, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1981
- 8/89-Present Robert Morris University
- *Professor of Mathematics (9/00 to present)
- *Assistant Dean of Engineering, Math and Science (7/04 to 8/06)
- *Mathematics Department Head (8/02 to 7/04)
- *Coordinator of Teacher Certification for Mathematics (9/95 to 8/04)
- *Courses Taught Include:
- Calculus with Analytic Geometry I
- Educational Assessment and Statistics (Graduate)
- Fundamentals of Mathematics (Math for Elementary Teachers)
- Statistics (Undergraduate)/Statistical Methods (Graduate)
- Mathematics Instructional Strategies (Secondary Math Methods)
- College Mathematics I
- Foundations of Education
- Math Reasoning with Applications
- *Additional Responsibility:
- Supervision of Student Teachers in Grades 7-12 Mathematics
Area of Expertise/Research
- Teaching and learning mathematics
Lias, A. R., Fowler, S. Holdan, E. G., Maxwell, M. M. (2006). Developing a Deep Understanding of Elementary School Mathematics: A Staff Development Partnership. International Journal of Learning, 13
Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2005). Towards a standards-based mathematics classroom: Issues of change, pedagogy and style. PCTM
Magazine, XLIII(3), 6-9
A. & Lias, A. R. (2005). Identity Theft and E-Fraud as Critical CRM
Concerns. International Journal of Enterprise Information
Systems, Issue 2, Vol. 1.
E. G., Lias, A. R., & Rudd, D. (2005).
Getting to a High-Quality Standards-Based Reform Mathematics
Classroom: Issues of Planning, Style,
and Change. International Journal of Learning, 12.
A. R. (2002) Regional Consortium Seeks NSF Funds for Grades 6-12 Mathematics
Curricular Reform. Math & Science Collaborative Journal Vol. 7.
A. R. & Graham, J. (1999). Assessment of Professional Portfolios in
Secondary Teacher Education: Issues of Validity, Reliability and Evaluation. The
Pennsylvania Association of College Teacher Educator’s Monograph on Assessment.
- 2005 - A Baker?s Dozen of Best Practices in Teaching Mathematics. Co-presented with Dr. Gregory Holdan at the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Conference in Harrisburg, PA. on October 27, 2005
- 2005 - Differentiating Teaching, Learning, Assessment, and Reflection Via Learning Style. Co-presented with Dr. Gregory Holdan at the Allegheny County-Wide Inservice day at South Fayette High School in South Fayette, PA. on October 10, 2005
- 2005 - Mathematical tasks that are worthy and engaging. Do teachers help TOO MUCH? Co-presented with Dr. Gregory Holdan at the 34th Annual Frostburg State University Mathematics Symposium. Frostburg, MD on April 15, 2005
- 2004 - Higher education and public schools math faculties coming together to improve mathematics teaching and learning in both universities and public schools. Can this be for real? Co-presented with Dr. Gregory Holdan at the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics 53rd Annual Meeting. In Erie, PA on October 29, 2004
- 2004 - Learning styles in the classroom. Co-presented with Dr. Gregory Holdan at Cornell Abraxis Pittsburgh Schools Annual Seminar at Seven Springs Ski Resort. (BY INVITATION). A three-hour in-service session built around learning styles. Champion, PA. on June 2, 2004
- 2004 - Design, delivery, and assessment with style. Co-presented with Dr. Gregory Holdan at Frostburg State University 33rd Mathematics Symposium. Frostburg, MD on April 16, 2004
- 2003 - Learning style: The predictable side of us. Co-presented with Dr. Gregory Holdan at the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics 52nd Annual Meeting. Lake Harmony, PA. on March 14, 2003.
- 2003 - What is Really Behind the Math Wars? Co-presented with Dr. Gregory Holdan at the Annual Education Conference at Robert Morris University in Moon Township, PA, on March 18, 2003.
- 2002 - Implementing An Exemplary Mathematics Curriculum in High School at the Annual Education Conference at Robert Morris College in Moon Township, PA, on April 9, 2002.
- 2001 - High School Math Project at the Network Connections Conference held at the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh, PA on October 4, 2001
- 2001 - Assessment with Open-Ended Tasks in the Secondary Math Classroom at the Annual Education Conference at Robert Morris College in Moon Township, PA, on March 27, 2001
- 2001 - Changing the Culture of the Classroom in the Age of TIMMS and the New
Standards at the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Conference in Pittsburgh on March 15, 2001
- 2000 - Assessment in Teacher Education: Issues, Research, Best Practices at the Association of Teacher Educators 80th Annual National Conference in Orlando, FL, on February 15, 2000
- 1999 - Assessment of Professional Portfolios in Secondary Education at the Pennsylvania Association of Teacher Educators conference in Grantville, PA, on October 28, 1999
- 1999 - Fun with Fermi Problems - Integrating Open-ended Tasks in Everyday Lessons at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Regional Conference in Pittsburgh on October 14, 1999
Schedule of Courses
Schedule Book for All Active and Available Future Terms, Lias, Allen R
|MATH6070-A||-||APPT||M||Lias||5 (05/13-05/31/13)||0 Seats
|MATH1010-A||08:00-08:50 AM||M W F||M||Lias||1 (08/26-12/14/13)||25 Seats
|MATH1010-D||11:00-11:50 AM||M W F||M||Lias||1 (08/26-12/14/13)||22 Seats
|MATH1010-B||10:00-10:50 AM||M W F||M||Lias||1 (08/26-12/14/13)||16 Seats
|MATH6080-A||06:00-10:00 PM|| W||M||Lias||3 (08/26-10/17/13)||39 Seats