Peggy M. Outon, BA
Executive Director (Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management)
412-397-6000 phone (P)
Pittsburgh (Heinz 57) 700
- Bachelor of Arts, Government, University of Texas at Austin, 1973
Adjunct faculty, Graduate Program, Arts Administration?
- University of New Orleans, September 1993 - 1999
? Teaching two of the three required arts administration courses - Development Strategies for the Arts, Marketing for the Arts
? Service on 28 thesis committees for arts administration students ?
major professor for 15 students
Faculty, Masters of Science, Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, September 2002 ? 2008
? Member of the Design Team for nonprofit curriculum
? Professor for Introduction to Nonprofit Management, Development Strategies for Nonprofit Organizations
Designed and delivered countless educational sessions, both as classes and as presentations at conferences, on various nonprofit topics (fundraising, governance, ethical decision-making, strategic and operational planning)
1. Founding Executive Director, Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University; Pittsburgh, PA. 1999- present
2. Associate Director, Ogden Museum of Southern Art, University of New Orleans, October 1995-1999.
3. Private consultant, nonprofit management, March 1986 - 2006.
4. Development Consultant, Ogden Museum of Southern Art at the UNO Lee Circle Center for the Arts, New Orleans, La, March 1995 - October 1995.
5. Founding Director, Center for Effective Nonprofit Management,
United Way, New Orleans, 1992-1995.
6. Director of Development, Contemporary Arts Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1989-1992
7. Founding Director, Center for Nonprofit Management, Volunteer Center, Austin, Texas, 1987-1989
8. Community Relations Officer, Laguna Gloria Art Museum, Austin, Texas, 1981-1987
9. Docent, Art Educator, Laguna Gloria Art Museum, Aus?tin, Texas, 1976-1981
Scholarly and Creative Productivity
- In September 2005 immediately post-Hurricane Katrina, I was asked by the Ford Foundation to join a group of national experts convened at the request of the Governor of Louisiana to create the Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation. The Foundation was created to work in partnership with the Bush-Clinton Foundation and to seek justice for all of Louisiana?s citizens in a time of unprecedented struggle. The Foundation has awarded $33 Million in grants since its inception.
In the summer of 2006, I was named to the Nonprofit Times Top 50 in Power and Influence annual award. Nominees are selected by peer recommendation.
In May 2008, I was honored by the Girls Scouts of Western Pennsylvania with their highest award for civic leaders, the Pearl of Excellence. Previous award winners include Theresa Heinz Kerry, Elsie Hillman and other very distinguished women. The event?s Chair was Michele Ridge, former First Lady of Pennsylvania.
"Best Practices in Museum Stores in Texas", Journal of Texas Associations of Museums, Fall 1985
?How to work with foundations? , Louisiana Foundation Directory,1994
?The Making of More Than Money?, ALCOA Foundation sponsored publication, Spring 2007.
?Social Capital, Civic Engagement, Strong Communities: Documenting NEXUS ? The Pittsburgh Dialogues for Activists, Philanthropists and Volunteers?, Richard King Mellon Foundation sponsored publication, Spring 2008.
Participation at Professional Meetings
In Austin, Texas, at the time of Laguna Gloria Art Museum capital bond election in 1985 to raise $15 million to build a new museum, I spoke to 4,000 people.
Member, National Training Team, Peter F. Drucker Foundation, New York, New York -
Since beginning my work in Pittsburgh, I have spoken in 26 states and in three foreign countries to more than 15,000 people on the topic of nonprofit management.
I have been an active participant in the national nonprofit dialogue, sitting on panels, developing curriculum, supervising research and helping to build model management support organizations across this country.
The Bayer Center?s work has been featured in the Chronicle of Philanthropy, the Nonprofit Quarterly, the Case Western Nonprofit Management and Leadership Journal and a number of other national publications. I am regularly interviewed and quoted in local and national publications.
Area of Expertise/Research
- August 1999 - FOUNDING DIRECTOR OF THE BAYER CENTER FOR NONPROFIT MANAGEMENT AT Robert Morris University - a comprehensive management support organization and academic center offering tools, information, education and research to nonprofit organizations in southwestern Pennsylvania; have served more than half of the nonprofit community in the first ten years (more than 3,000 nonprofit clients and students); raised in excess of $9 million for operations in first twelve years, had 750+ consulting clients, earned in excess of $5 million in fees, provided training and education to 2,000 non-credit students. In October 2010, the Center received an endowment gift of $2 million from the Richard King Mellon Foundation.
Under my leadership, BCNM has regularly done commissioned research. The United Way of Allegheny County has commissioned a Wage and Benefit Survey to provide accurate information to the region?s nonprofits on employment practices. BCNM also has a nationally recognized survey on the use of technology by nonprofit organizations. BCNM also does regular survey work and analysis on topical issues. From October 2008 - October 2010, BCNM put a survey in the field on the business effects of the economic downturn on nonprofits. In December 2010, the center received $250,000 gift from a local foundation to pursue research on the lives of women in nonprofit organizations. This three year effort will culminate in a national symposium.
The Center annually assists more than 100 nonprofit organizations with in-depth consultations. Over the years, I have personally worked with clients ranging from Pittsburgh?s Urban League to the Pennsylvania School Board Association to the Community Foundation of the Alleghenies to the American Institute of Architects, Pittsburgh Chapter to Georgia State Soccer Association to the national Association of Performing Arts Presenters to the YWCA of Westmoreland County.
- Publications "Best Practices in Museum Stores in Texas", Journal of Texas Associations of Museums, Fall 1985 ?How to work with foundations? , Louisiana Foundation Directory,1994 ?The Making of More Than Money?, ALCOA Foundation sponsored publication, Spring 2007. ?Social Capital, Civic Engagement, Strong Communities: Documenting NEXUS ? The Pittsburgh Dialogues for Activists, Philanthropists and Volunteers?, Richard King Mellon Foundation sponsored publication, Spring 2008.
- 2012 - President, Director of Volunteers in Austin, 1985-87
President, Women & Their Work (in support of women artists), Austin, 1987-89
Development Chair, Habitat for Humanity Board, New Orleans, 1990-93
Board Member, American Society of Training and Development, 1994-95
Vice President for Membership, National Nonprofit Management Association, 1994-98; President-Elect, 1997-98; Chair, Merger Task Force, 1997-98
Personnel Chair, Delta Service Corps Board (an Americorps program), 1994- 1996
Board of Trustees, First Presbyterian Church, New Orleans, La; 1996 - 1999
Founder, Shakespeare Festival at Tulane, 1993; board service 1993 - 1999
Chair, Founding Board, National Alliance for Nonprofit Management, 1998 ? 2001; board member 1998 ? 2006; Chair, Development Committee, 2009-
Board, Louisiana Association of Nonprofit Organizations, 1998 -1999
Leadership Louisiana. Class of 1998; steering committee, 1999
Board, Pittsburgh Council for International Visitors , 2000 ? 2004
Member, committee member ? East Liberty Presbyterian Church, 2000-present
Board, Three Rivers Connect, 2006 ? present; Executive Committee,
2007 - present.
Committee member, Membership Committee, Independent Sector, 2005-2008
Board, August Wilson Center for African American Culture, 2007- present
Founder, Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation immediately post- Hurricane Katrina; Committee member, Resources Committee, Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation,
Committee member, Capital Campaign, Free Southern Theater Institute, New Orleans, LA, 2009-
Membership on 34 nonprofit boards of directors since 1978
Schedule of Courses
Schedule Book for All Active and Available Future Terms, Outon, Peggy M
|AHNP1100-A||-||APPT||M||Outon||5 (03/10-05/03/14)||19 Seats