- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Metalsmithing & Jewelry Design, Kansas State University, 1998
- Master of Fine Arts, Metalsmithing & Jewelry Design, Indiana University - Bloomington, 2001
- Jon Radermacher began teaching in higher education at Indiana University Bloomington in 1999 and has been on the RMU faculty since 2005. Since his arrival at RMU, he has been teaching 2D design, 3D design, web design, product design, 3D computer modeling and Photoshop courses. In the summer of 2009, Radermacher became the second department head of Media Arts. Aside from administering the day-to-day operations of the department, Radermacher endeavors to make the arts more visible in the university and to the greater Pittsburgh metro area. This includes serving as board member and Vice President of the Pittsburgh Glass Center.
Extending beyond the scope of Western Pennsylvania, Radermacher recently co-developed and executed a design project between his 3D design students and Prof. Ferdinand Chrenka's product design students from the Academy of Fine Art and Design in Bratislava, Slovakia. This project, facilitated by Dr. Vladimir Burcik, created an intercultural exchange of ideas, design, and communication - all through teleconferencing. The success of the project was recognized at the 2011 European Academy of Digital Media's conference in Graz, Austria where Radermacher and Burcik presented the success and challenges of executing such a project. This was later turned into a formal paper that will soon be published as a chapter in the book series "Smart Media and Applications Research," edited by Dr. Peter A. Bruck.
Area of Expertise/Research
- Radermacher specializes in three-dimensional problem solving, construction techniques with multiple materials, and fabrication by hand. His creative activity primarily focuses on the themes of technology, consumerism and personal identity. He creates objects and sculptures that question product marketing, consumer attitudes and social formations. He has exhibited his work at scores of American invitational and juried exhibitions, including the Sculpture, Object and Functional Art (SOFA) exhibitions in New York and Chicago.
Radermacher's formal teaching background is in fine arts foundations, specifically 2D and 3D design courses. Through his creative activity over the last 15 years, he has become an advanced user and teacher of Rhinoceros 3D modeling software, and Adobe's Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Radermacher's skill in web design came out of coding web pages before there were WYSIWYG editors in the 1990's. Since then, he has become an advanced coder in HTML and CSS and he uses PHP to create heightened interactivity for users through the use of database information.
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2010, Rome Art Coterie – Rome Area Council for the Arts Gallery – Rome, Georgia
- Internationally juried exhibition: 2009, Paper or Plastic? – Luke and Eloy Gallery – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2008, VAST 40th Annual Visual Arts Exhibition – Center for the Visual Arts – Denton, Texas
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2008, 22nd Annual National Juried Exhibition – Douglasville Cultural Arts Center – Douglasville, Georgia
- Internationally juried exhibition: 2008, 24th Tallahassee International – Florida State University Museum of Fine Arts – Tallahassee, Florida
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2007, Curator's Choice Award Juried Exhibition – Dangenart Gallery – Nashville, Tennessee
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2007, Magnitude Seven – Manifest Gallery – Cincinnati, Ohio
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2006, Fine Contemporary Crafts – Artspace Gallery – Raleigh, North Carolina
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2006, A Sense of Place – Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art – Augusta, Georgia
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2006, American Landscapes – Washington Gallery of Photography – Bethesda, Maryland
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2005 Crafts National 39 – Zoller Gallery – State College, Pennsylvania
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2005, Art Tech: Man & Machine – Washington Gallery of Photography – Bethesda, Maryland
- Nationally juried exhibition: 2005, Materials: Hard & Soft – Greater Denton Arts Council Center for the Arts – Denton, TX
- 2011 - Co-author of "Transatlantic Design Project Using Teleconferencing," European Academy of Digital Media conference, November 2011, Graz, Austria
- 2007 - Co-author of "Development and Implementation of a Junior Year Design Course in a Multidisciplinary Environment Along with Media Art and Marketing," American Society of Engineering Education conference, June 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii
- 2005 - "Graduate Teaching Assistant Boot Camp: More than Just Survival," Panel discussion at the Foundations in Art: Theory and Education conference, March 2005, Columbus, Ohio
Schedule of Courses
Schedule Book for All Active and Available Future Terms, Radermacher, Jon A
|ARTM3307-A||02:00-04:50 PM||M||M||Radermacher||1 (08/26-12/14/13)||13 Seats