Robert Morris University promotes socially responsible and environmentally sustainable practices through all aspects of campus activity, including waste reduction, recycling, energy conservation, sustainable construction, and general business practices. We will educate our students, faculty and staff, as well as the community, about social responsibility, environmental sustainability, and green practices. We will help to prepare our students to become leaders in all areas of human endeavor supporting sustainable environmental practices.
The university's sustainability efforts are overseen by a committee that focuses on five major areas: education; green buildings and energy management; environmentally friendly purchasing and investments; emissions and waste reduction practices; and promotions and communictions. A list of goals and objectives for each of those areas can be found here. To learn what the RMU community thinks about sustainability, read about the results of our spring 2009 sustainability survey here.
Major initiatives that have been implemented recently include:
- adoption of a single-stream recycling program. Click here for a list of recycling locations on campus.
- elimination of disposable styrofoam to-go containers from the Food Court. The Food Court now offers reusable to-go containers that can be returned to the Food Court after use.
- installation of energy efficient hand driers in restrooms.
- expanded course offerings, including a major in environmental science, a minor in alternative energy and sustainability, and courses in sustainable marketing and management.
- adoption of LEED design standards for new building construction and major renovations.
- a vendor certification program which will allow the university to reduce paperwork generated by vendor invoices and payments.
- a utility demand response program.
- RMU is a member of the Pittsburgh Climate Initiative.
In September, the RMU School of Business will hold its annual International Conference on Sustainable Enterprises of the Future. The conference is interdisciplinary and focuses on sustainable business, technology and economic development.
To learn more about RMU's sustainability efforts, contact Jonathan Potts, director of public relations, at email@example.com.