When filing the FAFSA, all eligible students and parents should utilize the IRS Data Retrieval option. The retrieval option will allow Federal tax return information to be pulled directly from the IRS to your FAFSA. If this option was not utilized when initially filing your FAFSA, you may be asked to re-visit the FAFSA website and use the retrieval option for both yourself and a parent (if dependent). Below are instructions on how to complete the process.
(If an electronic tax return was filed, you should wait two weeks before attempting this process. Those who file a paper tax return should wait six weeks.)
- Visit www.fafsa.gov
- Login using your FSA User ID or your name, SSN and birth date
- Click "Make FAFSA Corrections"
- Click the "Financial Information" tab near the top of the screen
- Select "Already Completed" from the drop down box, indicating that you have already filed your Federal taxes
- You will then be presented with a series of questions to determine your eligibility for the retrieval option. The majority of students and parents will be eligible, however if you or your parent is not, please refer to the information below.
- If eligible, you will be prompted to enter your FSA ID to proceed to the IRS website for retrieval.
- On the IRS website, enter all requested information and submit
- At this point, your IRS information will display on the page.
- Click "Transfer Now"
- Using the links provided, return to the FAFSA website
- Go to the "Sign & Submit" tab along the top of the screen.
- Agree to the terms and click "Submit my FAFSA now".
Why am I not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool?
Reasons someone may not be able to use the data retrieval tool include:
- Your filing status is “Married, Filing Separately”
- Your filing status is “Head of Household”
- You had a change in marital status last year
- You filed an amended return
- You filed a foreign tax return
What do I do if I was selected for a process called Verification and was not eligible for to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool?
A portion of FAFSA filers will be selected for an accuracy review process called Verification. If your FAFSA was selected and you cannot use the retrieval option, you must provide a copy of your and/or a parent’s Federal Tax Transcript. To obtain a Tax Transcript, please call 800-829-1040 or visit www.irs.gov (Click on "Order a Return or AccountTranscript"). Please order a "Return Transcript" for Verification purposes.