This degree program is accredited by the ABET-Computing Accreditation Commission. This accreditation assures that the programs are in compliance with the latest national standards for information systems programs in the United States.
The Computer Information Systems degree program focuses on using technology as a tool to manage information in the context of managing a business. The program includes a core of courses focusing on business programming, systems analysis and design, operating systems concepts, database management systems, networks and data communications, and project management. Students choose a concentration area of information systems courses and are expected to take prescribed courses in the School of Business.
Program Educational Objectives
Five years after graduation the graduates should be:
- Contributing to the work force in their specialty such as but not limited to software development, networking data base administration or systems analysis
- Advancing their careers via continuous learning and professional development through the attainment of professional certification, professional study and research or graduate education
- Assuming positions of leadership within their organization
- Contributing to economic development and society through the development, maintenance and management of computer-based information systems for business, government, and other organizations
RMU Program Outcomes
- An ability to design, implement and evaluate a computer-based information system, process, component, or program to meet desired business or organizational specifications
- An ability to apply knowledge of information systems, programming and mathematics appropriate to the discipline
- An ability to demonstrate sufficient background knowledge in Operating Systems, Networking, Data Communication, Database Technology, Information Systems Planning, and Project Management
- An ability to analyze an information systems problem, define performance specifications to solve the problem and identify feasible solutions while recognizing the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society
- An ability to function effectively on teams and to be able to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for information systems practices by recognizing the need for, and the ability to engage in, continuing professional development
- An ability to understand professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities
Students choose a concentration area in order to add depth to their computer and information systems background. Concentration courses are chosen in consultation with a CIS advisor. Concentrations studied previously include health care information systems, network administration, office information systems, security, software development, and web design.
The concentrations focus on applications of appropriate information technologies in areas such as network administration, security and assurance, business intelligence, and media arts.
Browse the checksheet and required courses under Concentrations (below).
Tuition information can be found at Tuition Fees & Schedules.
The following are required for admission:
- Robert Morris University application for admission - Apply Now!
- Official transcripts from high school and any post-secondary institutions attended
|Position Title||Position Salary|
|Software Design & Development||$52,864|
|Systems Analysis & Design||$51,753|
|The information in this chart is based off of 2006 nation mean salaries|
Sample Positions for Bachelor-Level Graduates
Systems analyst, telecommunications analyst, application developer, client/server operations analyst, consultant, programmer, software engineer.
Bachelor-Level Internship Employers
Aetna; America's Promise; Comcast; Bayer; Carnegie Science Center; Corporate Consulting Group; Envirotrol; Fisher Scientific; Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania; J&L Specialty Steel; Krispy Kreme; Management Science Associates; McKesson; Mellon Financial; Pittsburgh Mercy Health Systems; PNC Bank; UPMC Health System; US Airways; U.S. Steel; Vevolution; World Vision.
Bachelor-Level Hiring Organizations
Allegheny County; Baker Installations; Bayer; Community College of Beaver County; Celebro Auto Chooser; Children's Institute of Pittsburgh; Concentria; Coventry Healthcare; CTR Systems; E-Profile; Envirotrol; FedEx Ground; Fiserv; Giant Eagle; GNC; Healthtec Software; Integrated Health Systems; J&L Specialty Steel; Management Science Associates; McKesson Automation; Mellon Financial; National City Corp.; Oncology Nursing Society; PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources; PC Network Services; Pittsburgh Mercy Health Systems; Pittsburgh Post-Gazette; Pittsburgh Technical Institute; R/M Analytical Services; Southwest Behavioral Health Management; Target Resources; Tissue Informatics; Total Equipment; Union Switch & Signal; University of Pittsburgh; U.S. Steel; Wesco Distribution.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
|Number of Students||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014|
|The information in this chart is from Spring Term Enrollment.|