- Integrated B.S. Plus M.S., Bioengineering/Technology of Production, Moscow University of Biotechnology, former Institute of Food Industry, 1983
- Ph.D., Biology/Microbiology, Institute of Botany, Vilnius, Lithuanian Academy of Sciences , 1988
- Post-doctoral experience:
Department of Biology, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany and
Institute of Plant Physiology, Sofia, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
- Full Member National and Regional Association of Pre-Health Advisors, 2007-current
- Full Member American Society for Mycology, 2005-current
- Full Member New York Academy of Sciences (voted by peers), 2002-current
- Serve on:
National Board of Environmental Deans and Directors, WDC;
Board of Governors at the Regional Science Consortium
- Pennsylvania Consortium for Interdisciplinary Environmental Policy;
Planning Committee for Rachel Carson Centennial Celebration and Green Chemistry Symposia;
Co-Chair of Energy and Sustainability Advisory Board
- Member Scientists Without Borders, NYAS, 2008-current
- Grant Proposals Reviewer/Evaluator
National Science Foundation, S-STEM Program, Division of Undergraduate Education
- Invited Editorial Advisory Board Member:
Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, USA;
Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, Canada;
Co-Guest Editor and Member of Editorial Board at International Journal of Environmental Management and Pollution, UK
- Full Member American Society of Microbiologists, 2001-current
Area of Expertise/Research
- Interests: Microbiology, Environmental issues, Biotechnology, Mycology, Biochemistry, Ecology, Plant Physiology, and Education
2008-2013 NSF/ S-STEM. STEM Scholars Program. PI.$562,220 awarded
2009- Buhl Foundation- 150K (Science Equipment/ with Science faculty)-awarded
2010- PNC Charitable Trust, 10K-awarded
2010- Hopwood Charitable Trust- 20K awarded
Kefeli Valentine, Kalevitch (Filimonova) Maria. Natural Growth Inhibitors and Phytohormones in Plant and Environment. 2002. Kluwer Academic Publishers B. The Netherlands. (American Kluwer, Massachusetts). 340p.
- Kalevitch, Maria 2006. Microbiology Laboratory Manual. Prentice Hall. 134 p.
- Kalevitch, Maria, Badger, Paul, Bill Dress and Kefeli, Valentine. 2011. Mineral and Microbial Composition of Manufactured Soils(in preparation)
- Kalevitch M., Maurer C., Iannelli J., Badger P., Hayward J., and Sirinterlikci, A.
2011. STEM Education: NSF STEM Scholars Living-Learning Cohort/in review
- Kalevitch, Maria V. 2009. Trends In Bacterial Activity. Manufactured Soils: 2004-2006, pp. 461-481. Proceedings: ATINER-3rd International Symposium on Environment, Athens, Greece, 526 pages
- Publications after 2003 are available upon request
- Maria Kalevitch, Valentine Kefeli, David Johnson, and Will Taylor. 2006. Plant Biodiversity in The Fabricated Soil Experiment. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 29(3), pp 101-114.
- Maria Kalevitch and Valentine Kefeli. 2006. Study of Bacterial Activity in Fabricated Soils. IJEP. Volume 29. No 4. pp. 412-423.
- Maria V. Kalevitch, Valentine I. Kefeli, Bruno Borsari, Jasmin Davis, and Greg Bolous. 2004. Chemical Signaling During Organism?s Growth and Development. Journal of Cell and Molecular Biology. Halic University. Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Turkey. Vol. 3, pp 95-102.
- Lynda Davidson, RN, Ph.D.; Lynn E. George, RN, Ph.D.; Maria V. Kalevitch, Ph.D.; and Dennis Rudd, EDD. Hepatitis A: How Our Community Handled One Of The Largest Outbreaks in United States. Nursing 2004.
- V.I.Kefeli, M.V. Kalevitch, B. Borsari. 2003. Phenolic Cycle in Plants and Their Environment. Journal of Cell and Molecular Biology. Halic University. Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Turkey. Vol. 2, # 1, pp. 13-18.
- Maria Kalevitch and Valentine Kefeli. 2007. Fungi in Fabricated Soils. International Journal of Environment and Pollution. Special Issue. Volume 29 No 4. pp. 424-434.
- 2011 - Kalevitch, Maria. 2011. European Biotechnology Congress. Turkey. The Development of a New Undergraduate Program in Biotechnology in a Private University in USA.
- 2003 - Presentations after 2003 are available upon request
- 2009 - Badger, Dress, Conley, Kalevitch, Kefeli, Leo, Sabol and Zawlesky. 2009. Effect of fabricated Soil Application on Soil Biological and Chemical Properties. Annual Meeting/ Soil Science Society of America.
- 2009 - Kalevitch, Maria and Kefeli, Valentine. 2009. Microbial and Mineral Content in Manufactured Soils. 109th General Meeting, American Society for Microbiology.
- 2008 - Kalevitch, Maria and Kefeli, Valentine. 2008. Evaluation Of Bacterial Composition in Manufactured Soils in Western Pennsylvania. 108th General Meeting, American Society for Microbiology.
- 2007 - Kalevitch, Maria and Kefeli, Valentine. 2007. ?Trends in Bacterial Activity. Manufactured Soils: 2004-2006.? 107th General Meeting, American Society for Microbiology.
- 2006 - V. Kefeli, M. Kalevitch, and M. Dunn. 2006."Microbial Activity in Fabricated Soils for Landscape Rehabilitation" (ICARD) Abstract to SME/ASMR.
- 2006 - Kalevitch, Maria and Kefeli, Valentine. 2006. Bacterial Presence in Manufactured Soils. 106th General Meeting, American Society for Microbiology.
- 2005 - B. Borsari, V. Kefeli, G. Boulos, and M. Kalevitch. 2005. Growth Inhibitory Effect of
Sumac (Rhus typhina L.). Root and Leaf Water Soluble Exudates on Selected
Crops. Proceedings, 13th European Weed Research Society Symposium, 19-23
June 2005, #74. p 1-2.
- 2005 - Maria Kalevitch and Valentine Kefeli. 2005. Fungi in Fabricated Soils. Joint Meeting of International Union of Microbiological Societies. American Society for Microbiology. 2534.
- 2005 - Maria Kalevitch and Valentine Kefeli. 2005. Bacterial and Fungal Presence in Fabricated Soils. 105th General Meeting, American Society for Microbiology. N-218.
- 2004 - Kalevitch, Maria; Kefeli, Valentine; Dunn, Margaret; and Borsari, B. 2004. Auxins. International Symposia. Greece/ Berkeley, CA.
- 2004 - Kalevitch, Maria; Kefeli, Valentine; Dunn, Margaret; and Borsari, B. 2004. Microbial Activity in Fabricated Soil. 104th ASM Annual Meeting. # N-010.
- 2003 - Kalevitch, Maria; Kefeli, Valentine; and Borsari, Bruno. 2003. Biotechnology of Plant-Soil Complex. 5th Meeting of Russian Society of Plant Physiologys. Photobiotechnology. Russian Academy of Sciences.
- 2010 - Kalevitch, Maria and Kefeli, Valentine. 2010. Elemental and Microbial Content of Manufactured Soils. 110th General Meeting, American Society for Microbiology.