Ferris W. Crane, M.F.A.
Associate Professor of Media Arts (Media Arts)
412-397-6883 phone (M)
Wheatley Center 215
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Academy of Art College, 1986
- M.F.A., Graphic Design, Academy of Art College, 1996
- Primo Angeli, Inc.
- FCCD, a visual communications design firm, with national offices (Los Angeles; San Francisco; New Orleans area) and international clients including those from France and Japan.
Area of Expertise/Research
- Ferris Crane researches the relationships between graphic design, culture and technology. She has helped to build visual frameworks in which various cultural groups can communicate about important life issues such as health and wellness, health care delivery and economic development. Research interests also include how digital technology affects perception including information gathering, aesthetic choices and academic culture. Her long term project includes still photographic documentation of how people visually design their culture, their habitats, their workplaces and their general survival after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, a post-disaster city.
- Please see "presentations."
- 2012 - Crane, Ferris. "Social Media Mediating Academic Culture". Pop Culture Association/American Hisotry Association Annual Conference, Boston, MA,
April 11, 2012.
- 2011 - Crane, Ferris. From Our City Classroom to Yours: Connections and Disconnections While Implementing Projects Mediated by Social Media."
Pennsylvania Communications Association, Westminster, PA, October, 2011.
Crane, Ferris. ?I Dream of Jeanie.? Pop Culture Association, San Antonio, Texas 2011
Crane, Ferris. ?Mediated Information Seeking and the Search for Visual Authenticity.? Humanities, Education and Research Annual National Conference, San Francisco, March 3, 2011.
- 2010 - Crane, Ferris. "Through the Cloud." Pennsylvania Communications Association. October 2010. New Technologies and innovative Strategies in Classrooms section.
- 2008 - Crane, Ferris. "The Impact of New Technologies on Visual Literacy and Information Seeking." Empowerment: An International Conference on Critical Literacy in Visual Culture, Dallas Texas, sponsored by the University of North Texas, College of Visual Arts and Design, June 7, 2008.
- 2007 - Crane, Ferris. "Libidinous Chat Rooms: From Typography, Avatars and GMUKS to the Mainstream." Pennsylvania Communications Association, State College, PA, October 18, 2007
- 2006 - Crane, Ferris. "Outcomes Assessment in the Media Arts: A Multi-Dimentional Model." College Art Association?s Annual Conference, Boston, February, 2006.
- 2005 - Crane, Ferris. ?A New View of the Printed Surface: A Quantitative Study.? Pennsylvania Communications Association?s Conference, Harrisburg October 25, 2005.
- 2003 - Crane, Ferris. How We See. College Art Association, National Annual Conference, New York 2003
- 2000 - Crane, Ferris. ?Graphic Symbolism Used by Native Americans in Medicine Ceremonies? College Art Association, National Annual Conference, Ontario, Canada, 2000
- 1996 - Crane, Ferris. ?Graphic Symbolism Used by Native Americans in Medicine Ceremonies? College Art Association, National Annual Conference, Ontario, Canada, 2000
- 1996 - Crane, Ferris. ?The Role of Women in Illuminated Manuscripts.? San Francisco Academy of Art, San Francisco, 1996.
Schedule of Courses
Schedule Book for All Active and Available Future Terms, Ferris
|ARTM3120-A||09:30-12:15 PM|| T||M||Crane||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||2 Seats
|ARTM3120-B||02:00-04:50 PM|| T||M||Crane||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||6 Seats
|ARTM3160-A||06:00-08:50 PM|| W||M||Crane||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||6 Seats
|ARTM4903-A||-||APPT||M||Crane||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||16 Seats