Lawrence A. Tomei, Ed.D.
Professor of Education (Education)
Vice Provost for Academic Affairs (Office of the Provost)
412-397-6229 phone (M)
Patrick Henry 214
- Bachelor of Science in Bus Admin, Finance/ Accounting, University of Akron OH, 1972
- Doctorate of Education, Educational Administration, University of Southern California, 1983
- Master of Education, Educational Psychology, University of Oklahoma, 1978
- Master of Public Administration, Public Administration, University of Oklahoma, 1975
- Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, Robert Morris University. Directs the activities of academic affairs including academic services (registrar?s office), student programs (Honors Program, Veterans Services, First-Year Studies Program), Rooney Visiting Scholars Program, and financial and facility coordination. Holds a dual appointment on the School of Education and Social Science faculty as Professor of Education, Department of Secondary Education and Graduate Studies, concentration in instructional technology.
- Aug 2005 -- Dec 2011. Senior Associate Provost, Academic Affairs, Robert Morris University.
- Aug 2004 -- Aug 2005. Dean of Academic Services & Student Programs, Robert Morris University.
- June 1998 -- Sept 2004. Director, Doctor of Education in Instructional Technologies (EdDIT); Coordinator, Program in Instructional Technology; Assistant Professor. Duquesne University.
- June 1994 -- June 1998. Director, Administrative Technology, Duquesne University, Center for Comm & Info Technology
- June 1991 -- June 1994. Associate Professor, Masters of Education Program, South Dakota State University (SDSU). Brookings, SD.
- 1972 -- 1981 USAF Officer. 2nd Lt (1972); 1st Lt (1974); Captain (1976).
- Jul 1985 -- Jul 1988. Associate Professor, Masters of Science in Operations Management Program, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
- 1991 -- 1994 Ellsworth Air Force Base, Rapid City SD.
Commander, 2148 Communications Group, Lt Colonel
- 1988 -- 1991 Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs CO. Computer-communications Systems Program Manager, Major (promoted to Lt Colonel)
- 1985 -- 1988 Eaker Air Force Base, Blytheville AR. Commander, 2101 Communications Squadron, Major
- 1981 -- 1985 Gunter Air Force Station, Montgomery AL. Chief, Management Technology Division, Captain (promoted to Major)
- Jan 1990 -- June 1991. Assistant Professor, Bachelor of Computer Science and Masters of Arts in Education Programs, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO.
Area of Expertise/Research
- Educational Psychology
- Instructional/ Educational Technology
Tomei, L.A. (2011). ICTs for Modern Educational and Instructional Advancement: New Approaches to Teaching. Information Science Reference, Hershey PA & New York. ISBN: 978-1-60566-936-6.
- Tomei, L.A. (2010). Lexicon of Online and Distance Learning. Rowan & Littlefield Education, Lanham, Maryland. ISBN: 978-1607092834.
Tomei, L.A. (2010). Designing Instruction for the Traditional, Adult, and Distance Learner: A New Engine for Technology-Based Teaching. Information Science Reference, Hershey PA & New York. ISBN: 978-978-1-60566-824-6.
Tomei, L.A. (2009). Information Communication Technologies for Enhanced Education and Learning: Advanced Applications and Developments. Information Science Reference, Hershey PA & New York. ISBN: 978-1-60566-150-6.
- Tomei, L.A. (2008). Encyclopedia of Information Technology Curriculum Integration (Two Volumes). Information Science Reference, Hershey PA & New York. ISBN: 978-1-59904-881-9.
Tomei, L.A. (2001). Teaching Digitally with Technology: A Guide for Integrating Technology into the Classroom. Christopher-Gordon Publishers, Inc., Norwood MA. ISBN: 1-92902-427-4.
Tomei, L.A. (2008). Adapting Information and Communications Technologies for Effective Education. Information Science Reference, Hershey PA & New York. ISBN: 978-1-59904-922-9.
Tomei, L.A. (2007). Integrating Information and Communications Technologies into the Classroom. Information Science Reference, Hershey PA & New York. ISBN: 1-59904-258-4.
- Tomei, L.A. (2007). Taxonomy for the Technology Domain. Information Science Reference, Hershey PA & New York. ISBN: 1-59140-524-6.
Tomei, L.A. (2003). Challenges of Teaching with Technology Across the Curriculum. IGI Publishing, Inc. Hershey, PA. ISBN: 1-59140-109-7.
Tomei, L.A. (2001). The Technology Facade: Overcoming Barriers to Effective Instructional Technology. Allyn & Bacon Publishing, Inc. New York. ISBN: 0-20532-676-5
Tomei, L.A. (2008). Online and Distance Learning: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools and Applications (Six Volumes). Information Science Reference, Hershey PA & New York. ISBN: 978-1-59904-935-9.
- 2010 - Tomei, L.A. (2010). Delivering Instruction Using 21st Century Technologies, Session Chair. Workshop presented to the Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, HI. (January 4-7, 2010)
- 2006 - Tomei, L.A. (2006). Technology Integration, as measured by the Technology Facade, Mitigated by School Leader?s Dispositions, Co-authored and co-presented to the International Conference of the Information Resource Management Association, Washington DC (May 2006).
- 2008 - Tomei, L.A. (2008). Why Choose An Online Course and What Materials Help Students Successfully Complete Online Courses? Papers presented to Annual Conference of the Online Consortium of Independent Colleges and Universities, St. Leo University, FL. (Feb 2008).
- 2010 - Tomei, L.A. (2010). Distance Education: Exploring the Three Most Critical Underlying Issues When Delivering an Online Program, Paper presented to the Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, HI. (January 4-7, 2010)
Schedule of Courses
Schedule Book for All Active and Available Future Terms, Tomei, Lawrence A
Summer 2013 Doctoral
|EDML8280-A||06:00-10:00 PM|| T||M||Tomei||10 (05/07-06/27/13)||4 Seats
|EDUC6610-L1||-||ONLINE||F||Tomei||2 (08/24-10/18/13)|| Seats