- Doctor of Science, PhD Instruction & Learning, University of Pittsburgh, 1991
- Second Concentration, MAPW, Master of Professional & Technical Writing, Carnegie Mellon University, 2001
- Master of Science, MS, Child Care & Child Development, University of Pittsburgh, 1983
- Second Concentration, Reading Specialist, University of Pittsburgh, 2004
- Bachelor of Arts, B. A., Philosophy & Psychology, Rhodes College, Memphis, TN, 1967
- 2010-To Date: Lecturer, Full-time, English Department, School of Communication & Information Science, Robert Morris University
- 2009-2010: Adjunct Instructor, Communication Skills, English Department, School of Communications & Information Science, Robert Morris University
- 2005-2009: Reading Specialist, Teaching Remedial Reading & Mathematics, K-8, Allegheny Intermediate Unit
1997-2005: Reading specialist and middle school science teacher at several different elementary and middle schools, part-time.
Area of Expertise/Research
- Reading Comprehension Skills: Dissertation, research, and have created many unique, non-traditional lessons for students kindergarten through college level.
- (May 2006) "Think-Aloud Mysteries," article in The Reading Teacher, a Journal of the International Reading Association.
- 2013 - Presentation to Communications Skills Program Faculty at FEIC March Meeting - How to teach students the easy TREC (Thesis, Reasons, Examples, Conclusion) outline to use for papers and speeches.
- 2011 - Workshop series on Reading Comprehension to Robert Morris Faculty of Communications Skills, Department of English
Schedule of Courses
Schedule Book for All Active and Available Future Terms, Lynn Alleen
|COSK0990-D||11:00-12:15 PM|| T R||M||Smith||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||15 Seats
|COSK1220-I||09:30-10:45 AM|| T R||M||Smith||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||1 Seats
|COSK1220-D||10:00-10:50 AM||M W F||M||Smith||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||0 Seats
|COSK1220-B||09:00-09:50 AM||M W F||M||Smith||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||0 Seats