E. Gregory Holdan, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mathematics (Mathematics)
Associate Professor of Education (Education)
Coordinator, Mathematics Education (Education)
412-397-4055 phone (M)
John Jay 309
- Ph.D., Curriculum & Instruction, Penn State, 1985
- Certificate, Secondary Principal, Duquesne, 1993
- Bachelor of Science, Education-Mathematics, Indiana University of PA, 1969
- Master of Arts, Mathematics, Penn State, 1971
- Certificate, Secondary Math Supervisor, Penn State, 1988
- MS and HS mathematics and computer science teacher at Mt. Lebanon SD from 1971-2002
Area of Expertise/Research
- learning style / teaching style
- Kalevitch, M., Holdan, G., Maurer, C., Sirinterlickci, A., Badger, P., Iannelli, J. Semich, G., Bernauer, J. (2012) Building a Community of Scholars: One University’s Story of Students Engaged in Learning Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Through a NSF S-STEMs Grant.
- Holdan, G. & Hansen, M. (2010) Reflective On-Line Discussion for Pre-Service Teachers. In Tomei, L (Ed.), Online Courses and ICT in Education: Emerging Practices and Applications. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Holdan, E. G. & Hansen, M. (2009). Using on-line discussion to encourage reflective thinking in pre-service teachers. International Journal of Information and Communication Technology Education, 5(3), 1-9.
- Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2009). A baker’s dozen of best practices in teaching mathematics. International Journal of Learning,15(12), 79-83.
- Lias, A. R., Krivak-Fowler, S., Holdan, G. and Maxwell. M. (2006). Developing a deep understanding of elementary school mathematics. International Journal of Learning,12(6), 73-77.
- Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2005). Towards a standards-based mathematics classroom: Issues of change, pedagogy and style. PCTM Magazine, XLIII(3), 6-9.
- A collection of mathematics problems published in The Mathematics Teacher, April and May, 1996.
- Holdan, E. G., Lias, A. R., & Rudd, D. (2005). Getting to a High-Quality Standards-Based Reform Mathematics Classroom: Issues of Planning, Style, and Change. International Journal of Learning, 12(1), 201-205.
- Holdan, E. G., Lias, A. R., & Maxwell, M. M. (2004/2005). From lecturer to facilitator: The impact of a collaborative effort. International Journal of Learning, 11, 761-767.
- Harvey, V. J. & Holdan, E. G. (2004, November). Insights from teaching discrete mathematics in information systems programs. A report for the discussion forum at CoLogNet/Formal Methods Europe Symposium on Teaching Formal Methods, Ghent, Belgium.
- Harvey, V. J., Harris, B., Holdan, E. G., Maxwell, M. M., & Wood, D. F. (2003). Discrete mathematics applications for information systems professionals. Robert Morris University. Boston: Pearson Custom Publishing.
- Holdan, E. G. (1996). Insights on Successful Practice – OBE. In
R. McCown, M. Driscoll, and P. G. Roop, Educational Psychology, Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Holdan, G. (1988). Making algebra homework more effective. In A. F. Coxford & A. P. Schulte (Eds.), The Ideas of Algebra, K-12: NCTM 1988 Yearbook (pp. 242-247). Reston, VA: NCTM.
- Harvey, V. J., Acharya, S., Holdan, E. G., Maxwell, M. M., Wood, D. F. & Yu, P. (2005). Discrete mathematics applications for information systems professionals(2nd ed.) Robert Morris University. Boston: Pearson Custom Publishing.
- 2008 - Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2008, June). A Baker?s Dozen of Best Practices in Teaching Mathematics. International Learning Conference, Chicago, IL.
- 2007 - Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2007, April). A Baker?s Dozen of Best Practices in Teaching Mathematics. Frostburg State University Mathematics Symposium, Frostburg, MD.
- 2005 - Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2005, October). A Baker?s Dozen of Best Practices in Teaching Mathematics. Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics 54th Annual Meeting, Harrisburg, PA.
- 2004 -
Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2004, June). Learning styles in the classroom. Cornell Abraxis Pittsburgh Schools Annual Seminar at Seven Springs Ski Resort. (BY INVITATION. A three-hour in-service session built around learning styles. Champion, PA.
- 2005 - Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2005, April). Mathematical tasks that are worthy and engaging?Do teachers help TOO MUCH? 34th Annual Frostburg State University Mathematics Symposium. Frostburg, MD.
- 2004 - Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2004, October). Higher education and public schools math faculties coming together to improve mathematics teaching and learning in both universities and public schools. Can this be for real? Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics 53rd Annual Meeting. Erie, PA.
- 2005 - Holdan, E. G. & Lias, A. R. (2005, October). Differentiating Teaching, Learning, Assessment, and Reflection Via Learning Style. October 10, 2005 County-Wide Inservice day. South Fayette High School, South Fayette, PA.
Schedule of Courses
Schedule Book for All Active and Available Future Terms, E. Gregory
|MATH2070-A||08:00-08:50 AM||MTWR||M||Holdan||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||0 Seats
|MATH3250-A||06:00-08:50 PM|| R||M||Holdan||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||30 Seats
Spring 2014: Doctora
|EDML8240-A||06:00-10:00 PM|| T||M||Holdan||8 (01/13-03/06/14)||7 Seats
|EDUC6065-B||06:00-10:00 PM|| W||M||Holdan||2 (05/06-06/29/14)|| Seats
|MATH1020-B||01:00-03:15 PM|| T R||M||Holdan||6 (06/02-08/08/14)|| Seats