James A. Bernauer, Ed.D.
Associate Professor of Education (Education)
412-397-6028 phone (M)
Nicholson Center 419
- Doctorate of Education, Policy, Planning, and Evaluation, University of Pittsburgh, 1991
- Master of Business Administration, University of Pittsburgh, 1985
- Master of Education, Deaf Education, University of Pittsburgh, 1972
- Bachelor of Science, Secondary Education-Social Studies, University of Dayton, 1970
- Taught junior high school and high school as well as deaf students at a residential school. Vice President of corporate planning and marketing at Dollar Bank. Taught in masters and doctoral program at Boston College, University of Pittsburgh, and Duquesne University. Also served as Associate Director of a large scale assessment project for Boston College in Boston city schools.
Area of Expertise/Research
- Experience is in both quantitative and qualitative research methods as well as educational psychology. Research has focused on higher education as well as assessment. Research interests also include carer and technical education and instructional effectiveness.
- Cooley, W. & Bernauer, J. (1991). School comparisons in statewide testing programs. In R. Stake (Ed.), Advances in program evaluation (pp. 159-170). London: JAI Press Inc.
- Bernauer, J. (1991). Variation in achievement among urban schools and implications for state education policy. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Pittsburgh).
- Bernauer, J. (1991). Using state data for improving urban schools. Pennsylvania Educational Policy Studies (Policy Paper No. 11). Learning Research and Development Center, University of Pittsburgh.
- Bernauer, J. (1996, October). The power of partnering. Technological Horizons in Education Journal, 24(3), pp. 71-73.
- Bernauer, J. & Cress, K. (1997, September). How school communities can help redefine accountability assessment. Phi Delta Kappan, 79(1), 71-75.
- Bernauer, J. (1998). Teachning for measurable outcomes. Journal of Excellence in College Teaching, Volume 9, No. 2.
- Bernauer, J. (1999, Winter). Emerging standards: Empowermrnt with a purpose. Kappa Delta Pi Record, Volume 38, No. 2.
- Bernauer, J. (2002, Winter). Ten steps for continuous school improvement. Kappa Delta Pi Record. Volume 38, No. 2
- Bernauer, J.A., Davis, C.T., & Tomei, L.A. (2011). Intergrated resadiness matrix: A new model for integrating pedagogy and technology into higher education faculty development. In V.C. X. Wang (Ed.), E-Leadership, Counseling, and Training. (pp. 171-187). doi: 10.4018/978-1-61350-068-2.ch013.
- Powell, J.C., Bernauer, J. & Agnihorti, V. (2011). Learning from incorrect answers on multiple choice tests: Implications for a new teaching paradigm. In Isaias, P. et al. Towards learning and instruction in web 3.0 advances in cognition and educational psychology. New York: Springer. ISBN: 978-972-8939-27-4.
- Bernauer, J., Davis, C., & Tomei L. (2012). The integrated readiness matrix. A synergy of pedagogy and technology for educational leadership. In V.C. X. Wang (Ed.). Technology and its impact on educational leadership: Innovation and change. (pp. 152-171). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Kalevitch, M. Holdan, G., Maurer, C., Sirinterlikci, A., Badger, P., Iannelli, J., Semich, G., & Bernauer, J. (2012). Building a community of scholars: One university's story of students engaged in learning science, mathematics, and engineering through a NSF S-STEMs grant.
- Bernauer, J. (2012). The unfolding of methodological identity: An autobiographical study using humor, competing voices, and twists. The Qualitative Report, 17(69), 1-18.
- Bernauer, J.A., Lichtman, M., Jacobs, C., & Robertson, S. (2013, August). Blending the old and the new: Qualitative data analysis as critical thinking and using Nvivo with a generic approach. The Qualitative Report, 18, 1-10.
- O'Dwyer, L. & Bernauer, J. (2013). Quantitative research for the qualitative researcher. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
- Bernauer, J.A. (2013, September). The serendipitous shoemaker: Creativity and passion in participant selection. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung/Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 14(3), Art. 11. http//nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:0114-fqs1303113
- 1991 - An evaluation of characteristics related to efective urban schooling and implications for state educational policy. Presented at the 1991 at the Pennsylvania Educational Research Association, Harrisburg, PA.
- 1992 - The usefulness of state data for supporting local school improvement efforts. Paper Presented at the 1992 American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- 1996 - Technology and leadership. Paper Presented at the 1996 American Educational Research Association. New York [ERIC: ED 394 503].
- 2010 - Bernauer, J. & Powell, J. Data mining of both right and wrong answers from a mathematics and science M/C test given collectively to 11,228 students from India in years 4,6, and 8. Proceedings of the Third Annual International data Mining Conference, Carnegie Mellon Unversity, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2010 - Powell, J.C., Bernauer, J.A., & Vishnuteerth, A. An analysis of answer selection patterns from multiple choice items. Proceedings of the 2010 Cognition and Exploratory Learning for the Digital Age (CELDA). Timisoara, Romania: International CELDA Conference. ISBN: 978-972-8939-28-1.
- 2011 - Bernauer, J. Eleven twists to identity. Paper Presented at the 2011 Qualitative Report 2nd Annual Conference, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- 2012 - The reluctant shoemaker: The case for serendipity in participant selection. Paper Presented at The Qualitative Report 3rd Annual Conference, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- 2013 - Blending the old and the new: Qualitative data analysis as critical thinking. Paper presented at the 2013 Qualitative Report 4th Annual Conference, NOVA Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Schedule of Courses
Schedule Book for All Active and Available Future Terms, James
|EDUC0210-B||-||APPT||M||Bernauer||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||15 Seats
|EDUC2100-B||09:00-09:50 AM||M W F||M||Bernauer||1 (01/13-05/03/14)||15 Seats
|EDUC6010-L1||-||ONLINE||F||Bernauer||4 (03/08-05/03/14)||17 Seats
|EDUC6130-A||06:00-10:00 PM|| R||M||Bernauer||3 (01/13-03/07/14)||12 Seats
|EDUC0601-A||-||APPT||M||Bernauer||2 (05/06-06/29/14)|| Seats
|EDUC6010-A||-||ONLINE||I||Bernauer||2 (05/06-06/29/14)|| Seats
|EDUC6010-L1||-||ONLINE||F||Bernauer||2 (05/06-06/29/14)|| Seats