Allegheny Technologies Incorporated has given $1 million to RMU to create the university’s first endowed professorship, the Richard J. Harshman Professorship in Accounting.
ATI’s gift follows the university receiving a grant of just under $1 million from the National Science Foundation to provide approximately 30 computer and information systems students with $20,000 scholarships, and also help them to finish school and land good-paying jobs or enter graduate programs after graduation.
ATI made its donation to RMU in honor of Harshman, a 1978 RMU graduate who recently retired as ATI president, chairman, and CEO. Harshman is the chairman of the RMU Board of Trustees. Read more here.
- Two accounting students, Tylyn Bramble and Margo Gamble, were awarded prestigious scholarships from the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants. With these scholarships, RMU continues to be ranked No. 1 in terms of students earning awards and total dollars received.
- The university would like to thank all who helped make the 94th Commencement Ceremonies run so smoothly in our new facility. Photos from undergraduate commencement and graduate commencement can be found on our Flickr page.
- Jonathan Potts, vice president for public relations and marketing, has been elected chair of the Board of Directors of the Pittsburgh Airport Area Chamber of Commerce, with his term set to begin in January 2020.
- Scott Irlbacher was an invited presenter at the inaugural Timothy J. Piazza Anti-Hazing Law Drive-In Conference hosted by Penn State University on May 9. Scott and Greek Life graduate intern Riley Vespoli gave three sessions on best practices for publishing campus hazing reports as required by the new PA hazing law and also shared their research on the 100+ reports published by PA colleges and universities.
- RMU Night at PNC Park is set for June 1. The university is hosting a pre-game social at Bettis' Grille on the North Shore from 12:30 - 3 p.m. Your $25 registration includes free food and drinks and a $5 donation to the university. If you would like tickets to the game and an RMU branded Pirates hat, you can purchase them here.
- The campus community is invited to a ceremony honoring Vietnam veterans at 9 a.m. June 1 at the UPMC Events Center. The event will be hosted by U.S. Rep. Conor Lamb and will feature Rocky Bleier, retired Super Bowl-winning running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers who received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart during his service in Vietnam. President Howard also is set to speak at the event. More information can be found here.
Editor's Note - The Minuteman will be published every other Friday over the summer months.
If you do not currently receive the The Minuteman weekly email, please click here to subscribe! During the summer, the Minuteman is published every other week.
ABOUT THE MINUTEMAN
The Minuteman is published weekly by the RMU Department of Public Relations and Marketing for faculty, staff and friends of Robert Morris University. To submit news for publication in The Minuteman, email email@example.com. We cannot guarantee that information submitted after 5 p.m. Wednesday will be published in that week's Minuteman.