- On November 12, RMU announced the RMU 100: Ready to Rise fundraising campaign, with $92 million raised toward a goal of $100 million by our centennial in September 2021. The announcement came at the groundbreaking for the expansion of John Jay Center for the School of Engineering, Mathematics and Science, funded through a $5 million gift from the Richard King Mellon Foundation. Another gift was announced during the men's basketball game against Pitt, which was the first at the UPMC Events Center: the university's first endowed head coaching position, the Pat Gallagher Head Men's Basketball Coach position, funded by the CEO and founder of PGT Trucking Inc., a former trustee and longtime donor to RMU.
- In collaboration with Junior Achievement USA, 55 RMU students participated in the JA Day at Crafton Elementary School on November 7. Students from the School of Business and School of Nursing, Education and Human Studies were trained to deliver JA’s lessons on business and economics concepts. Nathan Taylor, assistant professor of education, and Prasad Vemala, associate dean of the School of Business, facilitated the JA Day.
- Twelve middle and high school students and their families came to campus for 100 Black Men's STEM Immersion Day, where students participated in an engineering lab tour, a chemistry demonstration, and cryptography workshop. Two RMU student organizations attended to talk to the group about college life and have an informal Q&A.
- Three organizational leadership graduate students, Dena Scaltz, Daphne Hiles, and Bobbi Paper, were selected to compete in the Student Case Competition at the International Leadership Association's Annual Conference in Ottawa, Canada, October 24-17, 2019. The theme was Leadership: Courage Required. The students won third place in the graduate division for their poster presentation (qualifying round) which earned them a place in the final competition. The topic was Climate Migration: Leadership in Crisis highlighting the 17 million people who this year were displaced or forced to move from their homes because of climate events that have devastated their environment. Faculty advisors were Lazarina Topuzova and Elizabeth Stork.
- The 37th Annual Three Rivers Film Festival presents an evening with RMU 2019 Visiting Documentary Filmmaker Eva Weber Friday, November 15 from 8 - 10 p.m. at Harris Theater. General admission tickets are $10 and can be purchase at the door or ahead of time here. RMU students with a Freedom Card cost $6.
- The Department of Media Arts will host the opening reception of the Fall Senior Showcase November 19 from 4:30 - 6 p.m. in the Media Arts Gallery. This event displays the outstanding work of graduating seniors majoring in digital cinema, television, graphic design, interaction design, and photographer. The exhibition will be from November 19 - December 13.
- The Office of Residence Life will host the Almost Midnight Breakfast on Tuesday, December 10 and is looking for 20 volunteers. If your department has any leftover giveaways please feel free to bring them and we'll put them out as a bonus for the students. Please contact Jan Leopold at 412-397-5236 or firstname.lastname@example.org in the Office of Residence Life if you would like to participate.
- Friday, Nov. 15
- Men's Division 1 Club Ice Hockey vs. SUNY Cortland - 8:35 p.m. at the Island Sports Center
- Saturday, Nov. 16
- Men's Division 1 Club Ice Hockey vs. SUNY Cortland - 2:35 p.m. at the Island Sports Center
- Men's Club Basketball vs. Penn State University (Three Games) - 1:00 p.m. at North Athletic Complex
- Men's Division 4 Club Hockey vs. Case Western Reserve University - 8:30 p.m. at Island Sports Center
- Sunday, Nov. 17
- Women's Basketball vs. Columbia - Noon at the UPMC Events Center
If you do not currently receive the The Minuteman weekly email, please click here to subscribe! During the summer, the Minuteman is published every other week.
ABOUT THE MINUTEMAN
The Minuteman is published weekly by the RMU Department of Public Relations and Marketing for faculty, staff and friends of Robert Morris University. To submit news for publication in The Minuteman, email email@example.com. We cannot guarantee that information submitted after 5 p.m. Wednesday will be published in that week's Minuteman.