The M.S. in Counseling Psychology is a two-year cohort program that provides a foundation in counseling skills, assessment, and individual and group therapy. It offers students the opportunity to gain supervised practical experience in a formal practicum and internship.
Students learn how to understand client issues and needs in a variety of settings, and then collaboratively put individually tailored intervention plans into action. Graduates meet the core educational requirements for licensed professional counselor (LPC) in the state of Pennsylvania.
Samantha J. Monda, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
Coordinator, MS in Counseling Psychology
Kathryn Dennick-Brecht, Ed.D.
Department Head, Social Sciences
- Additional Program Information
Please note that admission to the program is competitive. Limited spaces are available and application does not guarantee acceptance
- 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA
- Successful completion of a personal interview
- Official undergraduate transcripts from all universities attended (Additional core undergraduate psychology classes may be required for full admission.)
- Essay (see below)
It is important for prospective students to give due consideration, and reflect on, themselves and their interest in training to become a professional counselor. Hence, in addition to the other materials and criteria listed above, the admissions committee is interested to know what has led you to pursue a career as a professional counselor.
Please provide a typed essay (500 word limit) that addresses the following questions:
- What kind of career in professional counseling are you interested in pursuing and how did your interest develop?What is your current conceptualization of what a counselor does?
- What personal strengths and weaknesses would you say that you have that could impact your effectiveness in this role?
- What led you to the M.S. in Counseling Psychology program, and how do you think it can benefit your career aspirations?
Please submit the essay to email@example.com along with your application.
These are some of the classes for students in this academic program:
School of Education and Social Sciences
Build your understanding of the essentials of human nature. Maximize your career potential by integrating technology and communication skills with the application of theory into practice.Visit School Site